Monday, January 10, 2011

Starting Solids

Since Kaellyn turned 4 months old a lot of people started asking, "has she started solids yet?"  I don't have a problem with people asking that question especially because I love talking about  my baby.  But when I answered, "no we're waiting until she's older" I get annoyed with their responses of "wow, she is so big, she's not eating yet?" or the opposite "well she's little you should start soon" And the other one of  "not even any rice cereal yet?"  No not even rice cereal yet.  Why would I give her the equivalent of wonder bread when she's on a great diet of breast milk?  And giving her solids won't help her sleep better.  Thickness is not an indicator of digestibitlity.  What keeps you full longer?  Carbs (cereal) or protein (milk)?  Why would she be any different? 

Now I don't really have a problem with most of the people who are asking since they are typically just genuinely curious. I love talking about my baby so when people are thoughtful and ask questions about her, I enjoyed the opportunity to answer even if I have to say "No, we are waiting until she is older."  I chose to wait because The World Health Organization, UNICEF, American Academy of Pediatrics, American Academy of Family Physicians, and American Dietetic Association all say that a baby should be on breastmilk exclusively for the first 6 months and complementarity thereafter. Even if your baby is on formula, solids should still wait until 6 months.  So not only did I want to wait until 6 months I wanted to wait until she was 6 months AND:
  • Sitting up unsupported (she still can't do this but I think it's because of the big diaper butt)
  • Has a pincer grasp (can use her finger and thumb to pick up little pieces of food which she can)
  • Has lost the tongue thrust reflex (no longer automatically spits out anything we put in her mouth)
And so she is able to do those things.  So we started giving her some solids.  She started on bananas and with that she accepted them pretty well.  She enjoys her bananas and eats about 1 inch of the entire banana.  This week we'll be doing apples and then next week will be something new.  I can't wait to see what she decides is her favourite.

Enjoying the banana

No comments:

Post a Comment